Wednesday, February 10, 2010



Snowfall in DC beats a record set in....the winter of 1898--1899

According to a news snippet I just read, the winter of 2009-2010 is the snowiest on record. With record snowfalls being recorded, and D.C getting more snow than it's gotten since 1899, I'm glad to say that I live in North Carolina. Granted, it's been a cold couple of weeks here...but I'm talking cold for NC, which is not the same thing as cold in the upper mid-atlantic and northeast.

Amazingly, my wife told me that her parents, my in-laws, were about to get on the road...New York. I was stunned when she said it. Their reason for wanting to do an arctic trek? They haven't seen their youngest grandkids in a year. Understandable, but my response was: Well, they won't be able to see them very well from a ditch, now will they?

Thankfully, more thoughtful thinking prevailed and they have decided to postpone their trip. But only by a day. So, it still makes me wonder.

Frankly, I wouldn't be getting on the road to New York for at least a couple of days. Bad things have a habit of happening on their own. And there's no reason to ask for more than fate would hand out to you on its very own.