Thursday, December 10, 2009



Christmas Shopping, Gift Cards, and the Bookstore

The tree is up, lights are on, and Vince Guaraldi's "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is usually playing somewhere near. And this is the time of year that I seem to find myself in stores more often than I would like. This week, though, I combined personal shopping with gift searching. Regarding gifts, gift cards seem to work well, but I find that sometimes I give a gift card and I get a gift card. It sort of cancels out. Maybe crisscrossing xmas emails would work out just as well. Would save time, but where's the spirit in that? Personally, I'd rather give more personal gifts versus gift cards. However--so often what I think is a neat gift is really just someone else's new junk for the next yard sale. So, a gift card to what I know is someone's favorite store isn't such as bad idea I guess.

Christmas shopping took me to the mall. There, Barnes & Nobles couldn't find a book for me in their system. As the girl behind the counter searched, I found the book on mobile Amazon using my phone. She said excitedly "Oh, did you find it?". I handed her my phone so she could get the ISBN...so she could find that same book that was sitting somewhere in her store. Now, what does that say...about the future of brick and mortar bookstores? Nothing good I'm sure. I really hope places like Barnes and Nobles don't go under. Nothing like spending time in a bookstore.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Rosebudcottage said...

I have a question about SSD. I am 70 years old receive Soc Sec due to my age but have to work to supplement the meager Social Security income I receive each month. I was diagnosed with Lupus, Fibromyalgia and Ulcerative Colitis. Would I be able to file and receive Social Security
Disablility if I meet all the medical qualifications? Where do I start?

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home