Tuesday, February 03, 2009



Anklosing spondylitis, Young Men & Treatments

Anklosing spondylitis. It is estimated that it affects, for some reason unknown, males three times more often that it affects females. Most often found while a patients is in their late teens or 20s, AS is a form of arthritis that affects the spine. Some call the disease ‘poker back’.

AS is difficult to diagnose, and unfortunately, many people do not seek treatment for back pain. The disease seems to be very prominent in young males, who are even less likely to seek treatment than older adults. This article states that there is nearly a seven-to-ten year postponement in the diagnosis of AS, from the first arrival of symptoms.

The following article speaks with doctors about ankylosing spondylitis, how it is diagnosed and discusses its many treatments. This article explains that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can help, sometimes corticosteroids are injected, and in extreme cases anti-rheumatic drugs such as sulfasalazine and methotrexate are used. The article also discusses a new class of drugs called ‘biologics’, and speaks about non-pharmaceutical approaches to treatment, such as physical therapy, stretching and moderate physical activity.

Arthritis of spine targets young men


Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog




Other Posts

Should you File Your SSDI Disability Appeal Online?
Update on a Social Security Disability Application
Decisions on Disability Applications - Fully and Partially Favorable
Choosing a Social Security Disability Attorney

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

I relate well to your comments about Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) and the information in the accompanying article. In my mid fifties, I have coped with diagnosed AS for more than 30 years. I began having sporadic pain and stiffness as a teenager and I was in my mid/late-twenties before I was finally diagnosed with AS. Although we could not trace it in our family history, I tested positive for the HLA-B27 gene. I had a major joint replacement a few years after the initial diagnosis. I continue to take NSAIDs, have weekly "biologic" injections, and use daily pain medications. I worked steadily all my life until 2006. Then, in 2007 at a particularly difficult point with the disease, I applied for Social Security disability benefits. Now I find myself facing potential financial ruin as I struggle through the disability process. The information on your blog helps encourage me to press forward in the appeal process.

Thanks!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Disability Blogger said...

Yeah, the SSA disability system is rough. Bad decisions, a ridiculously long process, and a lot of goofups. Glad to hear you're pushing forward with the appeal process.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home