Children and Child Disability Claims
I decided to make an index page of posts I've written regarding child disability claims. This section of the blog will include posts on SSI child disability cases, disabled adult child cases, and non-disability related postings involving children (typically health and medical news).
If you are an adult parent who is filing on behalf of a disabled child (or are simply considering filing a claim and are in the process of gathering preliminary information) please bear in mind that disability applications for minor-age children are filed in the SSI program. This program is need-based, therefore the income and assets of the child's parents will be considered; meaning that if family income or assets exceed the current limits, the claim will be denied. Also be aware of the fact that filing a claim online (at the SSA site) in the SSI program is different than filing a disability claim online in the SSD (social security disability) program. An SSD claim that is filed online at the SSA site is counted as an actual application with the benefit of a protective filing date while for SSI doing something online only counts as a "lead" for a social security field office to follow-up on. In other words, for SSI there is no protective filing date for anything initiated online.
Why the difference in treatment? It seems arbitrary. However, the point is that it may be better to avoid filing online and simply make an appointment to be interviewed at a local social security office.
1. Problems in Winning a Disability Case for a Child
2. Applying for Disability for a Child - gathering records
3. Genes cause children to misbehave?
4. ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and SSI - Applying for Disability
5. Applying for SSI Disability for a Child
6. A child disability claim will be determined on the basis of residual functional capacity
7. Will my child receive money if I get approved for SSI disability?
8. Will your child receive money if you get approved for SSD disability ?
9. Do disabled children qualify for benefits?
10. A child's eligibility for disability benefits, depends not only on a medical determination, but also on the income and resources of the parents
11. Do you automatically file for your children when you file for disability
12. Non Stimulant Treatment for Children
Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog