Thursday, May 01, 2008



Social Security Disability SSI and Hyperthyroidism

As a disability examiner, I found it fairly common to see thyroid problems listed on disability applications, including both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.

Did I ever see anyone specifically approved for either SSD (social security disability) or SSI (supplemental security income) benefits on the basis of thyroid problems alone? Not specifically. However, it is also true that I never dealt with a disability application that listed only thyroid problems (of either kind) as allegations.

Generally, a thyroid condition would be listed alongside a variety of other health problems, that either singly, or in combination with thyroid difficulties, might result in an approval of benefits. And if you look at the description of hyperthyroidism below, its not hard to figure out why.

Below the information I have provided regarding hyperthyroidism, I have included links to prior posts that may be of particular interest for individuals who are considering filing for disability benefits or appealing a current denial.

Definition and description of Hyperthyroidism

Hyperthyroidism is a condition, in which the thyroid gland produces too much thyroxine hormone. An excessive amount of thyroxine hormone causes an overactive metabolism that accelerates body functions. Symptoms of hyperthyroidism might include significant weight loss with increased appetite, heat intolerance, tiredness, hyperactivity, apathy, loss of libido, sweating, excessive urination, depression, and weakness.

An individual with hyperthyroidism may experience a thyroxic crisis, when they experience duress or stress. Thyroxic crisis symptoms may include tachycardia, arrhythmia, increased body temperature, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, coma, or even death.

Additionally, there are some neurological symptoms associated with hyperthyroidism such as tremors, an abnormal involuntary movement disorder known as chorea, myopathy, or even periodic paralysis.

About 70 to 80 percent of all hyperthyroidism cases are the result of Graves Disease; the remaining 20 percent may be the result of a toxic thyroid adenoma, toxic multinodular goiter, or even some types of medications.


Links of Interest

1. Filing for Disability - correct steps for filing a claim

2. Denied for Social Security Disability or SSI - what do I do?

3. Filing a disability appeal online

4. Filing for disability and preparing for the worst

5. Filing for Disability - Doctors and Documentation

6. Tips for filing a Social Security Disability Reconsideration

7. Trying to win disability and checking the status of your claim




Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog

2 Comments:

Anonymous Fibro Viv said...

Hello,

I received your note and I already added you as "RELATED LINKS TO CHECK OUT", thanks for asking about exchanging links. Please add mine to your page.

God Bless and Thank You for helping people obtain SSD/SSI!

Viviana
Fibro Viv

8:31 AM  
Blogger Disability Blogger said...

Hi Viviana,

I just started working on the blogroll page in the links section of my blog. Your site is already posted on it. Thanks!

Tim

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home