A Social Security Disability Story - depression, losing a job
Here's a link to a really good post on a blog. The post is written by an individual who describes her experiences prior to being approved for social security disability and her experiences after.
You should definitely read the post. However, let me make a list of some of the things that stood out in the post for me.
1. She suffered from depression and, due to this, was hospitalized several times. This caused her to lose several jobs (she points out this was prior to the Americans with Disabilities Act) and ruin her credit.
2. She applied for disability with help of a hospital social worker.
3. She was able to go to school while receiving disability benefits.
4. She tried working at some point and ended up with an overpayment.
5. She, fortunately, was able to pay the overpayment.
Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog
Disability in the Various States:
New York Disability