Tuesday, August 28, 2007



Hail Storm

I'd never been in a hail storm until a couple of nights (obviously, this post is not about social security disability or SSI). I was at Walnut Creek Amphitheater (Raleigh, North Carolina) to hear three great bands from the seventies and eighties: Styx, Foreigner, and Def Leppard. Did I get to hear them? Nope.

For some reason, nearly every time I've gone to Walnut Creek in the last three years, it's rained. And I guess that shouldn't be too surprising. I live in a state that tends to be fairly humid in the summer and the best concerts at this particular venue tend to be scheduled, rain-wise, in the most unpredictable part of the year.

This year, I optimistically, and blindly, refused to believe that such a great concert event would be ruined by rain. I'm glad I didn't bet my life on that. Not only did it rain right after I paid for upgraded seats, my family and I were caught literally in a hail storm.

Here's the funny part. We were actually standing in a merchandise concession line to buy rain ponchos on the "off chance" that it "might" rain. And then it did. Not a little rain. But a torrential downpour, the kind with whipping winds. And then my stepson looked behind and said "Oh my god". Of course, that's not the kind of statement to inspire confidence, but I looked as well to see what he remarked about. Let's put it this way. I imagine the image I saw was similar to what people caught in the advance of a tornado may see right before it hits. And hit it did. The concession people had all their merchandise blown everywhere, including their register. And right after that tremendous burst of high pressure wind, the hail came down. Which, I learned, does hurt.

How significant was this storm burst that lasted all of ten minutes? From what I read, eight people in Raleigh were injured during this freak storm and they were all at the concert.

By the way, the concert has been rescheduled for this coming week. Considering what I went through the first time----I still wouldn't miss it for anything.

Addendum: I actually wrote this post two nights ago and hadn't gotten around to posting it yet. Last night, I went to see the aforementioned bands and was pleasantly surprised to see that the vast majority of the individuals who had purchased tickets and had been hailed on had returned to see the show.




Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog













Disability in the Various States:

Virginia Disability
Washington Disability
Massachusetts Disability
Indiana Disability