Tuesday, February 06, 2007



Movie downloads from Walmart

Walmart is getting into the movie download business. Interesting. Just the other day I was thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have stock in Netflix. I wonder how the share prices for netflix stock will do with this news.

Here's the basic guts of this story. Walmart will have the participation of all the major movie studios (how could they not when Walmart accounts for 40 percent of all dvd sales--to say no to them is probably not a good idea, business-wise). Movie downloads will be available for $19.98 the same day they are released on DVD and television episodes will be available the day after they air on tv for $1.98.

How well will this do? Hard to say. Frankly, I don't think it will appeal to people like myself for several reasons. 1. I don't really want to watch movies on a pc or laptop. I've tried the portable movie thing on portable dvd players and even on a Sony Psp and after you get over the initial novelty of it all, it quickly loses its appeal. 2. Buying episodes of shows you've missed for 2 bucks doesn't sound all that bad...but more and more people have tivos or, even better, DVRs provided by their cable system. Digital video recorders, for me at least, have made VCRs and DVD recorders obsolete practically in the same breath. And as far as saving a copy for future use? Honestly, with most movies I just don't want to watch them more than once. And even my favorite movies rarely get more than a second viewing.

But, this is Walmart. And if there's money to be made, they'll make it. Personally, I'll just stick to my DVR.




Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog




Other Posts

How long is the social security disability process?
Social Security Disability SSI and Pain
Social Security Disability Lump Sum

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home