Friday, August 25, 2006



Social Security Disability SSI and Technology Part III

There's an article on the site, Adage a.k.a. advertising age, that's titled "Marketing Reality Check: Blogs, Pods, RSS" and it only confirms what I myself (redundant?) have felt to be true (like everyone else, I love to read confirming tidbits here and there of my own opinions for validation).

Here are the tidbits I found most interesting:

1. 88% of working-age Americans don't know what RSS is (one definition is "really simple syndication").

2. Among younger Americans, ages 12-17, 61% have never used a social networking site (for example, myspace, which, frankly, I just don't get) and 71% have never posted a comment on a blog.

Why do I find these numbers interesting? Because it dispells the myth that internet media is as far-reaching as the hype would have you believe it is.

The internet is certainly a wonderful tool, but though it may continue to consume larger chunks of advertising budgets, it's doubtful that it will ever replace television or print media. More likely, it will continue to exist in a fashion similar to radio, which serves as an adjunct to television and print media.

Now, how does any of this relate to social security disability and SSI? Well, here's a quote from someone who was interviewed for the article:

"I love to check the internet for instant news and updates, but I still like reading the paper and magazines," Ms. Bretzlauf said. "I like being able to read one part of a magazine, put it down, then pick it back up again later. I don't think I'll ever change that."

You know, as soon as I read this, I thought to myself (and I've had this thought before), "Trying to review a social security disability file that's been put on disc is going to be a pain in the keyster". Why? Because people like the flexibility of paper, being able to flip back and forth QUICKLY (i.e. without having to use an irritating scroll bar).

It will be interesting to see how the complete paper-to-electronic conversion really goes for the social security administration. Frankly, I don't think its going to go as well as they think. It's chief benefit will probably be fewer lost files. However, as any computer geek knows full well, if you don't backup your data IN TRIPLICATE, you may end up losing it, even if the odds of that happening are slim (but believe me, it can happen that several drives fail in a single day).

Oh, postscript to this post: my spouse who is a field office claims rep for SSA called me yesterday to say that her office system was down for most of the day meaning no one could get any work done, meaning work was backing up.

Automation is great, but you should never con yourself into thinking that it's foolproof.




Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog




Other Posts

Social Security Disability Doctors
How often will social security review my disability claim ? (continuing disability review)
Applying for disability
Disability appeal
Disability Multiple Sclerosis