Saturday, June 03, 2006



Social Security Disability SSI: Two is (may be) an unlucky number

Earlier this evening, I was in a convenience store and the customer in front of me at the checkout register was asked by the cashier, "Are you sure you don't want to get something else?" Two pepperoni flavored slimjims were on the counter. For a second, the customer, a slightly disheveled-looking gentlman in his early thirties wore a blank look. Then, in the tradition of Eureka!, a realization flashed across his face. He said to the cashier, "You are so right. Thank you for reminding me. That is definitely an unlucky number.

For a moment as I watched this exchange, I wonder if I had suddenly been transported to a land of voodoo and superstition. Two is an unlucky number? I'd never heard of it. But, apparently, both parties ahead of me had. I watched the man select his third slim jim to ward off any potential ill-fatedness wrought by the purchase of only deux slimjims.

The purpose of this post: simply to relate this little anecdote. The tie-in? Well, in one sense, two can be an unlucky number in social security disability and SSI cases (you may sense that I am reaching, but I really do have a point). If you are not approved for benefits on your initial application, chances are likely that your claim will be denied on the first appeal as well.

Ok, perhaps this post is a bit lame. But it is, unfortunately, true that if you are denied on your social security disability or SSI application for benefits you will probably, at some point, need to appear at a hearing before an administrative law judge before you claim can be approved. That's not to say you can't get approved on your first appeal. But, typically, only 15-20 percent of those appeals get approved.

Now, has anyone else heard of two being an unlucky number?




Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog














Other Posts:
Social Security Attorneys - what you should know
The purpose of the Social Security Disability SSI medical exam
Application for social security disability
Disability for Diabetes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home