Tuesday, May 09, 2006



Social Security Disability and SSI: problems with backpay

I just found this posted on someone's blog: "I cannot believe this! I have been waiting for months for this back pay! I have been getting my monthly disability now for three months and still I haven't received my back pay! It is crazy how Gov't offices can be so different! When I got my disability pay from the VA, the day I got the letter I went checked my account and it was already there! Yet with the Social Security, I have waited in vain! Well the 12th makes it an entire full month since I contacted them and they had said a full month and I should receive it. So if by the 12th, and I'm not holding my breath, it isn't here, then I am going to be calling and expecting answers!"

This would be one area that's ripe for reform, but so far I haven't heard any mention of it. Unfortunately, it is a very common complaint.






Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog




Other Posts

How much can I earn and still receive Disability benefits ?
File for disability

Disability status

Disability back pain

5 Comments:

Blogger Gary Freedman said...

I had to wait quite a while for my SSDI back pay. Then I contacted my congressperson. That seemed to do the trick. I got my backpay right away. But then, I have a very responsive Congressional Delegate. She's Eleanor Holmes Norton of the District of Columbia.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Disability Blogger said...

That's great to hear. It's not always the case, but sometimes contacting your representative or senator's office can move things along faster. It's called a congressional inquiry and, at times, it can be useful to get a disability hearing scheduled faster. Sounds like your delegate's office is on the ball.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Malachi said...

I'VE BEEN GRANTED SSI AND ALSO BACKPAY--PRAISE GOD!

BUT, I'M HAVING A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING JUST WHAT I MAY & MAY NOT USE THIS LUMP SUM OF MONEY FOR IN THE 9 MONTHS ALLOWED.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO WRITE A "SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS FOR DUMMIES" BOOK! lol MANY THANKS FOR ANY HELP. MALACHI

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applied for both ssi and social security disability and was given a bench decision yes. I am still waiting on my backpay and monthly payments. Well I havent been to my local ssi office yet. My question is it possible to receive both that I applied for ssi and ssd? I really don't have any idea how this works. Please help if anyone know that answer.
Kacer

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well not to dihearten. I since 4 months had passed for the original post. I have been waiting 8 MONTHS and still no back pay. I got my first monthly check in Nov. It is now June 13, 2008. Like the poster I was told to call back in a month (15th) so I am now going to have to call again. Good luck out there. I hope this helps. I will now try my congressman.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home