Tuesday, May 30, 2006



Does everyone hate PDF files, or is it just me?

In this regard, I really doubt it is just me. Listen, I have a fairly fast PC with plently of memory and I use a cable modem. Nonetheless, everytime I click on a search engine link without realizing that the link is to a PDF (I believe the acronym stands for portable document file), I feel sick as soon as I realize what I've done. Why, you ask? Well, if you've ever clicked on a PDF, I shouldn't have to explain, because you are acquainted with the experience of having your computer freeze up while the acrobat reader program loads. While this is happening, of course, you can't tab over to something else to "ride out" out the wait and you might as well forget about using the back button on your browser which will be rendered temporarily useless.

I hate PDF files with a passion. Not just because of what I've just said, but also due to the fact that these stupid things are HARD TO READ. And scrolling through multi-page PDF stuff is no picnic.

Guess what? I'll bet you the price of a hamburger that when claimants or disability reps want a copy of the file to view...it will probably be on PDF. Can you imagine having to try to view a quarter inch to one inch thick file this way. I guess paper, which allowed you to easily take notes and flip forward and back...was just too old fashioned.

Maybe files won't be on PDF, but I bet they will be. Because that's the smartest thing that the federal government can think of. And, of course, they're not that smart. And if that's the case, how many judges and reps will just start printing paper copies anyway.




Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog














Other Posts:
Social Security Disability SSI Degenerative Disc Disease and Back pain
File for disability
Disability appeal information
Disability for Bipolar Disorder

5 Comments:

Anonymous Alex said...

AMEN brother!!!!!!!! I was so frustrated just now, I googled 'hate' and 'pdf' and found this post. It just feels good that somebody out there shares my pain!!

8:28 AM  
Blogger john said...

I hate pdfs beyond belief. It's like an invitation to watch an otherwise effective computer become a mechanical imbecile, slow, unwieldy, stupid. Just the worst.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone i talk to HATES pdf files for the reasons you mentioned,I want to add a few more:

1. The files can very easily become GIGANTIC.
2. Printing them takes forever because the printer cant handle the huge file size. I've seen a 30-page document eat up 3 GIGS of space on one of our print servers! This document didn't even have images.
3. They're designed so only Adobe products can properly handle them without causing formatting errors or ballooning file size.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate hate hate PDF. I would like to track down the idiot that dreamed this up because he is pretty stupid if he can't write a program better than this!!!! And what idot marketed it??? I, also frustrated, typed in I hate PDF and found this site. Anyone have a cure for this???

2:56 PM  
Blogger Jon R. said...

Like Alex (above) I found this page with Google: I searched for "I hate PDF" and found a wealth of pages about that very subject.

As bad as PDF is on a "regular" computer screen, it's even worse -- much worse -- on a tablet, smartphone, or ereader, where the majority of PDF documents are simply unreadable no matter how you approach them. I almost always end up so frustrated by the tiny font, lack of decent navigation and formatting, and unpredictable "zooms" that I just say, "I give up," and -- give up.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home