Monday, November 28, 2005



Disability Related Scams - be wary of where you get your information

A while back I mentioned to the webmaster of a very prominent and very useful disability resource site (for his site, emphasis is listing disability resources of all kinds, in all countries) that I was "looking into" what might be a disability scam. Today, he wrote me and asked what I had managed to find out. I won't post all the damning evidence I turned up about these people, but the email I sent back to him should explain why you should be very careful about information that's available online. Here it is:


Mike,

Well, I guess it depends on what you consider to be a scam. A long while back, I started noticing these ssd/ssi "articles" appearing all over the net. When I read them, it was pretty obvious that they had been crudely rewritten from material that appears on my site. I don't like thievery so I was incensed. But it didn't seem too harmful so I let it go. Now, however, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of these fake articles all over the net and the reason for this is that they are being used to "link spam" a disability referral site to top listings on search engines.

I have no problem with law firms using informational websites to gather referrals. I've even learned in the last few years that way too many claimants wait way too long to seek representation, mainly because they are unaware of how much representation can help them (the old adage "he who represents himself has a fool for an attorney" is true. judges simply will blow you off if you show up unrepresented). Also, most people are unaware that attorney and nonattorney representatives work on a contingency fee basis, meaning no payment up front.

The big problem I have with this particular site is that it is extremely obvious that they know absolutely nothing about social security disability and are spitting out gobs of awful information that claimants might find and follow. If you read these "articles" they have posted on their site, it seems like gobbledygook.

Again, I have no problem with referrals to attorney and nonattorney reps. I do have a problem, though, with blatantly bad information written by people who are probably not U.S. citizens and who have no clue what they are talking about.

I believe this particular website is probably being constructed for sale to a law firm at some point. My personal opinion is that any law firm that is connected to such a site should find itself reviewed by its relevant bar associations, because, to my mind, this is not ethical behavior in the least.

And that's how I see it. So, the moral of this story is: don't always believe what you read. And that's triple for the internet



Return to the Social Security Disability SSI Benefits Blog




Other Posts

What is the decision making process on a Disability claim?
Getting a Disability Lawyer - Information for Disability Claims ?
Apply for SSI
Disability lawyer - when to get one
Social Security Disability SSI Massachusetts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home